The place to spend a day with your wannabe Astronaut is the Kennedy Space Center on Florida’s east coast at Cape Canaveral. The KSC will easily fill one whole day and keep the family busy and entertained.
We left Daytona Beach and drove the hour to the Kennedy Space Center. We were unsure how the children would enjoy the day as they aren’t space crazy but they do enjoy hands on learning and will find things enjoyable if they are engaging. We planned on staying for 4 hours but after 6 hours we called it a day. There was still so much more to see and do but the family had run out of steam! The KSC was a highlight of our trip and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
We had not pre-purchased tickets but the queues moved quickly and it didn’t take long to get inside. The day we were there was during the busiest week the KSC has which was between Christmas and New Year’s. The place is so large and spread out that it did not feel overcrowded or busy at all.
The Bus Tour – Behind the Scenes
Plan to get on a bus tour early on during your day as this will avoid waiting in the bus lines. When finding a seat sit on the right side of the bus (when facing the front). This is the side where you will see everything and will have the best view. The bus tour takes you over to the launch pads and around where the rockets are launched. There is also another museum style building stop where the bus will drop you. This is where you can touch a moon rock and be part of a launch simulation.
The Rocket Garden
A lovely place to have your lunch and take a close up look at rockets that are no longer in use. There was information about each rocket and their launch details. It was a nice area for the kids to stretch their legs.
Space Shuttle Atlantis
This gallery was dedicated to the Atlantis Space Shuttle. There was lots of hands on activities, a huge slide and a rocket launching simulation which was like a ride. We spent around 90mins in this gallery and the whole family left with a different experience. The Atlantis shuttle was inside the building and it was amazing to see.
There was plenty of opportunities to watch the IMAX movie and rest your legs in air conditioning. The kids loved their first IMAX experience.
- We decided to take a snacks into the KSC and drink bottles. There were places to refill drink bottles and lots of areas to sit and enjoy your food. We did buy an ice cream each, the line was 20mins long. The queues for the food venues were very long and we were glad we had our own food.
- The long line as you approach the KSC was unbelievable. We drove past all the cars as at the lights both lanes can turn right into the car park.
- The parking lot was very busy but well organised and the lines moved quickly. Have $10 ready to pass to the attendant before you enter.
- No need to book your tickets as it was easy and quick to pick up your tickets.
- There is the opportunity to have lunch with an astronaut which is an extra to your admission price.
Find us on Instagram.com/travelwiththegreens
Follow us on FaceBook – TravelWithTheGreens
Disclaimer: We were guests of the Kennedy Space Center. All our opinions are honest and our own.